1 hour 10 minutes
4 to 6 servings
- 2 cups Yellow split peas
- 8 cups Water
- 2 Tablespoons Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 Tablespoons Coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons Cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Tumeric
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 1/4 cup Peeled and finely chopped ginger
- 1 Medium serrano pepper
- 8 ounces Baby spinach; washed and coarsely chopped
- Strain split peas in a strainer, rinsing thoroughly with cold water. Transfer into a large saucepan, add water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally. Skim off any byproduct that rises to the top. Simmer for about 45 minutes or until the peas reach a soft consistency. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and salt.
- Heat coconut oil in a frying pan. Add cumin seeds and tumeric and cook until the cumin seeds are toasted, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and Serrano pepper and season with salt, cooking until the vegetables are soft, about 2-3 minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted, stirring occasionally for about 4 minutes.
- Stir spinach mixture into yellow peas. Serve immediately.