Few superfoods are as common, as versatile or as powerful as cinnamon. From as early as 2000 BCE, cinnamon was regarded as a spice so special that it was gifted to the gods and kings. Derived from the inner bark of the cinnamomum plant, cinnamon contains an essential oil called cinnamaldehyde which contributes many health benefits. Cinnamon is high in antioxidants including polyphenols which may protect the body from the oxidative damage caused by free radicals and have anti-inflammatory affects. Cinnamon may even combat heart disease, lower cholesterol, improve sensitivity to insulin and protect against cancer.
Add some superfood cinnamon to your snacking with our Cinnamon Spice Pumpkin Seed Bars!
- 4 ripe medium bananas
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 orange, juiced
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Peel and slice bananas into 1/4 inch pieces.
- Squeeze juice from orange and dip each banana slice into juice. Place bananas on cookie sheet coated with parchment paper or non-stick aluminum foil, about 1/2 inch apart.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Cook for 3-5 hours depending on how crispy you want them. Flip halfway through.
- Remove from heat, let cool and store in air-tight container.