By Maggie Michalczyk, RDN
I don’t know about you, but in my neck of the woods it’s finally starting to feel like fall and that only means one thing- soup weather! Combining the season’s best flavors allows you to reap the their rich nutrition content.
I’m excited to share my recipe that incorporates a sweet and crunchy twist. This bowl of soup is bursting with fiber and vitamin A, a nutrient that is abundant in orange vegetables, especially pumpkin. Instead of heavy cream, I used whole-milk yogurt to give the soup the same creamy rich texture in a healthy way. Pair that with the hearty quinoa, and you are getting the protein you need for a filling lunch or dinner side dish.
And no pumpkin soup is complete without pumpkin seeds on top! Adding more nutrition and crunch per bite, Health Warrior’s Cinnamon Spice Pumpkin Seed Bar is the perfect soup topper! It increases the nutrition of this recipe in a new way, and I think you’ll enjoy the mildly sweet touch it adds too. The flavors of pumpkin and ginger are complemented perfectly, and you can feel good knowing you are adding more protein, fiber and magnesium to every bite of this meal.
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup whole-milk plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tsp. ginger, fresh or ground
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, sauté garlic with olive oil until fragrant.
- Add broth, and pumpkin, increasing the heat. Stir in whole-milk greek yogurt, ginger, lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let soup continue to simmer. In the meantime, follow package instructions for making the quinoa on the stovetop.
- Once complete, stir quinoa into soup.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Unwrap Cinnamon Spice Pumpkin Seed Bar and cut into cubes, place on top of soup and enjoy!