By: Clara Norfleet, RDN
The small but mighty chia seed is a nutrient-dense superfood that provides us with key nutrients like omega-3s, protein, fiber and calcium. These little seeds tout some impressive beauty benefits as well that can counteract some of our most common skin problems. Good skin care is more than just what we put on our bodies. What we put in our bodies matters so much! Are you taking advantage of these beauty benefits from chia seeds?
- Chia seeds are best known for being a good source of omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are known to decrease inflammation throughout the body. On our skin, this translates to decreasing signs of redness and acne.
- Chia seeds also contain magnesium and manganese. Both minerals play a role in balancing blood sugar, and with well-balanced blood sugar comes well-balanced hormones and decreased inflammation.
- The zinc found in chia seeds plays an important role in reparative functions of the skin like healing wounds and reducing the evidence of scars. Zinc is also involved in cell regeneration and collagen synthesis, which provides structure for our skin and further helps with wound healing from things like scratches and acne scars.
- The amazing antioxidant properties of chia seeds can ward off wrinkles and fine lines. Chia seeds actually contain more antioxidants than blueberries, and these antioxidants serve to fight off free-radicals in the body that lead to unwanted premature aging and wrinkles down the road.
- Did you know you can also use chia seeds topically? Rubbing chia seed oil itself directly onto dry patches of skin can help restore hydration! Additionally, the fatty acids found in chia seeds help cells retain water, which leads to supple, well-hydrated skin from the inside out!
Clara Norfleet is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist currently based in Asheville, NC that is passionate about informing, empowering, and encouraging women and men to build healthy relationships with food, nourish their bodies, and feel comfortable in their skin. Through her practice, Clara’s goal is to provide people with the information and inspiration they need in order to build healthy, sustainable habits and ultimately enjoy their life — and food! — to the greatest extent.