Your co-worker can’t stop sneezing. The neighbors have the flu. Your son comes home with the sniffles. It’s just a matter of time until you’re taking sick day and drowning in a pile of tissues, right? Wrong. By eating foods that bolster the immune system, you can fight off illnesses before they get you. Here are 9 simple foods that fight the good fight:
- Garlic. Garlic contains allicin which emits a potent antioxidant into the body.
- Tea. All types of teas contain catechin, an antioxidant that boosts the immune system. Plus the warm drink soothes a sore or scratchy throat.
- Chia seeds. Omega-3 fatty acids reduce inflammation which may prevent the immune system from working efficiently.
- Kale. To keep your immune system top notch, flood your body with nutrients. Dark leafy greens pack a punch.
- Dark Chocolate. That’s right! Dark chocolate contains high amounts polyphenols and zinc. A little goes a long way.
- Coconut. Selenium is essential for immune health.
- Pumpkin seeds. Like dark chocolate, pumpkin seeds contain zinc which boosts the immune system.
- Turmeric. Turmeric has been used for centuries as a medicinal spice. It is packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that helps the body defend itself. Turmeric may even boost your white blood cell count.
- Oranges. Citrus fruits, especially oranges, contain vitamin C which may ward off illness or reduce the duration of the common cold.